Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Cal Tech & POODR Ch 1 & 2

Yesterday I started re-reading Practical Object-Oriented Design with Ruby by Sandi Metz. I got through half of Chapter 2. I didn't re-read Chapter 1 because I remember the main ideas from it.

Chapter 2 starts out with a bicycle. A good way to start if you ask me. There is talk about gearing. I never really thought that much about this. I put my bike in a low gear for going up the hill and a large gear for going down the hill. But what does that really mean mechanically? Fixed gear people talk about their gear ratios but I always tuned those conversations out because I am too clumsy for a fixie. I do have a single gear bike but I have no idea what the ratio is. It just goes. And the people who have 2 different sized wheels are just taking it to another level that I have previously been uninterested in.

Sandi Metz has made me think about all of this stuff. The most I can say is at least I knew it existed so that is something. 

We are trying to figure out the gear ratio of a bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment